Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Inevitable Hillary Clinton

I usually find myself flipping around to the many news channels, CNN, Fox News, etc. These shows usually have one or more pundits that are called upon to prognosticate and reveal their wisdom and truth about future political happenings. I do not doubt the sincerity or intelligence of these people, but I think darts thrown at dartboard might be able to come up with the right response with the same degree of success. I figure if those people can do it why not me? For the purpose of this article I will become a pundit and try to forecast the political future.

I mean to focus my prognostication on the Democrats and their choice to run for president. Hillary wins. Yes that is the extent of my psychic abilities. To some it might seem like an easy pick, I would classify it as inevitability. You must understand how that disappoints me on many levels. I see the eventual nomination of Hillary Clinton as a foregone conclusion. There are many reasons for this feeling.

Senator Clinton surely is not going to be changed by the current lot of candidates seeking her party’s nomination. A newbie senator, a one-term, once rejected presidential candidate, an expired Alaskan senator, and a United States representative fighting to win the hearts of out-of-this-world beings does not evoke great excitement. This group as is currently composed on top will hardly rattle the Clinton machine. That machine in and of itself is a reason to bet on Mrs. Clinton’s nomination. The machine is to well oiled and practiced in picking up and chewing out opponents. Add to this a seemingly endless supply of money from contributions, assuming they do not have to be returned. There is still one factor that I have forgotten about, Bill. The former president and hopeful first man is still a beloved commodity around Democrat circles. This has proven useful as his wife advances in her political career, a mutually beneficial relationship that might yield historic returns.

Well I will not have to wait long to see if my prediction comes true. The Iowa caucuses are right around the corner and the Democrat presidential nominee will probably be known soon after. If I am right my career as a pundit will be off to a great start. It might show that Democrat know the difference between a candidate qualified to be president and someone who was simply married to one. One does not qualify the other. There are many are many adjectives I could use to describe Hillary Clinton, for the sake of propriety I will use only one, inevitable.

No comments: