Friday, October 05, 2007

Up on My Soapbox: Motorcycles Are Not Cars

I am mad, darn mad, and I can not take it anymore. The object of my rage is motorcycles taking up parking spots meant for cars. I wonder why people can be so inconsiderate to us the drivers of cars who must fight for each parking space as if it was Park Avenue real estate. This has been a particular bugaboo of mine for along time and surfaced again today. It is the same scenario over and over again. I race to get to my class on time and try to find a parking spot close to the building. I proceed to drive past occupied space after occupied space. I then see what appears to be an open spot and my heart races as I think to myself "what luck." But what I have seen is simply an optical illusion, a dirty trick played on my mind. And like Charlie Brown I believe that Lucy will hold the football for sure this time. But she never does and the space is not only occupied but filled by a motorcycle. I do not have anything against motorcycles per se, but when it costs me a parking space anything is open game. I notice these spots filled by these motorcycles as they go partially filled and it enrages me. At the very least it seems like a waste of space, space that should be filled up by my vehicle. This is my soapbox moment to vent all my anger and rage and to make my plight known. I know I am not alone is this as I am sure others have fallen prey to the false empty space that tempts and teases you. I am not a believer in segregation but I can make an exception in this instance. I think we should keep motorcycles and their lesser cousin, the scooter, out of our spaces. Each time I am confronted with this experience my minds wanders and I think what if I drove my car into this motorcycle to reclaim what is rightfully mine? The answer comes back as a damaged car and any number of broken bones. After all large people with tattos usually accompany those motorcycles and I can always park around the block.

No comments: