Sunday, May 07, 2006

Is Cane the Cure?

As a conservative I have no real problem with alternative sources of energy. I think we should be developing any and all resources to lessen our dependence on foreign oil. I will side with the greens when it comes to wind or solar power. I would even be willing to have windmills in my area unlike a certain liberal massachusetts political family. I recently saw a Dateline show where they were talking about how Brazil has eliminated the need for foreign oil. They have developed the sugarcane for their energy source. I believe we need to start on that same track. We will not always be able to depend on a stable middle east and energy independence is crucial for our national security. So if that means developing bushels of corn for ethanol instead of importing barrels of oil I accept. Brazil has been ahead of the game for thirty years and have implemented flex technology on their cars to give consumers a choice at the pump. I think we need to hop aboard the technology express and ride it all the way to energy independence. I would even be willing to shuck a few ears of corn for cheaper gas.

No comments: